Our Uniting Church’s first ever National Young Adult Leaders Conference, (an excellent adaptation of the President’s Young Leaders Conferences) was held in January of 2012.
It was an awesome experience! People were inspired and drew closer to God. Some young adults who were disengaging from the church, fell in love with the UCA all over again. People from all kinds of diverse backgrounds became friends and experienced an ACTS like community for that week. We were built up in faith, hope and love. And we were keen to see the benefits we experienced there, ripple out beyond ourselves to bless others.
It had such an amazing impact, that it was obvious that this ministry had to continue. N.Y.A.L.C.s will now be a regular part of the Uniting Church in Australia’s faithscape. We will have two in a row, and then intersperse them with NCYC’s and About FACE Programs so that these three national events can become an integrated and strategic process for faith development together, supplementing the discipleship of young adults that happens in Synods, regions and congregations.
National Young Adult Leaders Conferences will
- gather young adult leaders from across all our states and territories
- have a prescribed mix of participants so that our cultural diversity is represented at the conferences
- aim to inspire, encourage, sustain and develop our young adult leaders who give so much to our church
- provide opportunities for networking nationally, in synods and also locally
- strive to build community and a sense of belonging to a wonderful church
- provide opportunities for young adults to continue relationships or expressions of their gifts and concerns through action groups, focus groups or relational groups.
- provide opportunities to grow in faith and in leadership
- encourage a well balanced spirituality that pays attention to all the key dimensions of the spiritual life
- be co-hosted by The President of The Uniting Church in Australia and The Chairperson of the Uniting Aboriginal and Islander Christian Congress.
- facilitated by a team of young adult advocates from across the nation and by the young adult participants themselves – a great team effort!
- be under the auspicing and direction of The National Youth Activities Reference Committee
For more information about National Young Adult Leaders Conferences, contact Tom Kerr.
For application kits, stay tuned to your local Synod information services.